Travel Permits for Fire Preparedness in Central Goldfields Shire

With the summer fire season imminent, there is a need for owners of properties to prepare for the fire season.

A permit scheme, similar to that which was run in 2020, has now been approved by the Victorian Government. This will allow an exemption to the current Chief Health Officer (CHO) directions for some Victorians to travel beyond their existing limits for the purposes of fire preparedness activities.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) and Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) understand the need for fire preparedness activities to commence during spring and that local councils have received enquiries from property owners in their municipality.

Property owners can apply directly by submitting the form below. 

All enquiries must be via an application form via this page or emailed to

The following conditions apply:

  • The permit applicant must own the property
  • The property is either
  1. located in the Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO).
  2. determined by council to require fire preparedness

Click here to view form.


**Please note applications received after 12pm Wednesday, 20 October will not be processed until the following week.

Being prepared for the fire season is a responsibility for all Shire landowners, whether you live in or outside the community.  In the lead up to fire season, all vacant land owners should at a minimum:

  • Slash all grass and keep this maintained throughout the fire season.
  • Remove any fallen and dead vegetation.
  • Remove fine fuels (anything less than 6mm in diameter e.g. twigs).
  • Create separation between the vegetation and buildings and fences by mowing and pruning vegetation.

If you can’t travel from metro Melbourne (or another regional area) to complete the works yourself, we recommend contacting a regional based contractor to undertake the works on your behalf.

More information is available on the CFA website