Burning Waste Materials

1. Burning household wastes

Burning of household wastes and hazardous materials can be harmful to the environment and your health.

Community members living in residential areas are required to obtain a permit to burn from Council.

Burning off your household or garden waste in the open or using a backyard incinerator is banned, year round.

A fire permit application form must be filled out before burns take place and burn offs should only occur under appropriate weather conditions with consideration given for surrounding community. Only dry green wastes and untreated timber should be burnt. An on the spot fine will be issued to people who light a fire without first obtaining a permit.

The ban prevents fires and protects public health.

Getting a permit to burn

To apply for a permit to burn visit the Burning Off section of our website. 

2. Health risks

The following items when burnt can produce hazardous smoke producing a health risk through inhalation of particles and chemicals:  

  • Household recyclables including but not limited to plastics, recyclables, glass, cardboard, paper, phone books, magazines, aluminum cans

Recyclables can be placed in your recycle bin for collection. Large quantities can be taken to your local transfer station.  

  • Household rubbish including but not limited to: nappies, eneral waste, non-recyclables

Household wastes can be placed in your garbage bin for collection. Large quantities can be taken to your local transfer station.

  • Manure and animal remains

Animal droppings are to be placed in your Council garbage bin or composted. Animal remains are to be sent to rendering plant or licensed landfill for disposal or can be buried on site referring to EPA industrial waste resource guidelines.

  • Waste from renovation or demolition

 If you can, re-use materials, otherwise waste from renovation or demolition can be disposed of at landfill or transfer station

  • Silage/Feed Wrapping and Hay Band/Twine

 Silage wrap recycling program in your area. Wrap that cannot be recycled should be disposed of at landfill or transfer station. Hay band/Twine can be recycled in some regions, or reused on farm or disposed of at landfill or transfer station. 

  • Tyres

Tyres can be legitimately re-used on farms (e.g silage stacks). If you cannot re-use tyres, contact Council for an appropriate recycling or disposal location.

  • Chemical drums and used containers

Chemical drums and used containers that have been triple rinsed can be returned to the retailer or disposed of as directed on its labelling or at eligible containers at a DrumMuster site.

  • Treated timbers

Treated timbers can be re-used or disposed of at landfill or a local transfer station.

How to identify treated timber:

  • Softwoods (pine) that have been in the open for more than a year and have not rotted will have been treated.
  • Timbers (including railway sleepers) are often treated with paints, stains or lacquers or can be unintentionally contaminated from insecticides, oil, grease, heavy metals and asbestos.


  • Materials containing asbestos

If you have asbestos on your property, EPA recommends you consult a professional removalist who has a WorkSafe Licence.

If you have material containing asbestos that is less than 10m2 you can double wrap the asbestos in 0.2mm thick polythene sheeting, completely seal with tape and label with asbestos ensuring that you follow correct safety procedures. Packaged asbestos can be dispose of it at a landfill licensed to accept that type of material. Contact EPA on 1300 EPA VIC or www.epa.vic.gov.au for a list of licensed sites.

Illegally dumping or burning asbestos is an offence under the Environment Protection Act 1970 and significant penalties apply.

Further information can be found at www.abestos.vic.gov.au or www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/asbestos.