Creating and maintaining residential addresses

Governance for Assigning Property Address Numbers

Under the Local Government Act 1989 Council has governance for assigning urban and rural addresses of properties. 

Standards and Policies

In order that addresses are assigned to a standard, Council uses the Australian/ New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 4819:2011, and the Naming rules for Places in Victoria

Process for Assigning New Address Numbers

New addresses are assigned using a lodged survey plan supplied to Council by Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. The addresses assigned by Council are shared with Department of Environment Land Water and Planning. This ensures Certificate of Title issued by Registrar of Titles contains the addresses assigned by Council. 

Change of Street Address

Council will investigate any formal request to change an address.

Council does not agree to requests for a change in street address based on any of the following:

  • To facilitate the property’s readdressing to an adjacent suburb;
  • The number is considered unlucky;
  • Religious reasons;
  • To improve the feng shui of the property;
  • Personal preferences;
  • The number is not good for business;
  • The property is difficult to sell; and

The number /address is perceived to devalue the property. Council may change a street address if:

  • The number is identified as not meeting AS/NZS 4819:2011;
  • A road name change occurs that is triggered by Naming rules for Places in Victoria;


Advice to Developers and Owners

If an owner’s request for a change of address is approved, Council will notify any affected owners and the relevant government agencies. These government agencies are as follows:

  • Australian Electoral Commission;
  • Water Corporation;
  • Australia Post; and
  • Vicmap (Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning for inclusion in 000)


All other costs associated with a change of address remain the responsibility of the owner. This includes the replacement and/or relocation of letterboxes, cost of new numbers, alterations to numbers on buildings, replacing/removing painted kerb side numbers, notifications to other government agencies, business contacts, personal contacts, and alterations to business and personal stationery.

Council will provide a letter on confirmation of all address changes and can supply this electronically if required to facilitate changing details with other organisations.

 It is the Landholders responsibility to display the correct street number on a property.  This is imperative for all agencies, especially emergency services to easily locate any property.