PoPe Permit

If you are planning to hold an event, on either public or private land, you may require a permit from Council’s Building Department for a Place of Public Entertainment (PoPE) or Temporary Structure.

A PoPE is a ‘building or place used or intended to be used for conducting public entertainment or a public meeting’. This may include, but is not limited to:

  • public assembly building of more than 500m2
  • place of more than 500m2, which may include the erection of a prescribed temporary structure, being one of the following:
  • seating stand for more than 20 persons
  • marquee of more than 100m2
  • tent of more than 100m2
  • booth of more than 100m2
  • stage or platform of more than 150m2

    Examples of public entertainment include live performances (ie. concerts and music festivals), rodeos, circuses, cinema in the park, cultural performances, agricultural shows, community fairs and celebrations. 

    Under the Building Act 1993 an Occupancy Permit must be issued before a building or place can be used for a Place of Public Entertainment, which is enclosed or substantially enclosed, or to which admission can be gained by payment of money for the giving of other consideration, and which is used or intended to be used for the purposes of providing public entertainment.

    There are exemptions available for community based organisations that are organising and controlling a free event and the number of persons in the one place at any one time during the event does not exceed 5,000.

    The use of temporary structures at such events are assessed as part of the PoPE Permit application. They are prescribed as:

  • tents, marquees or booths with a floor area greater than 100m2
  • seating stands for more than 20 persons
  • stage or platforms (including sky borders and stage wings) exceeding 150m2 in floor area

Guidance through the PoPE process can be offered by Council. Please contact Council’s Building team about any questions you may have in regards to requirements.

Safety Officer

As part your event permits, it may be a condition of the permit that you are required to have a Safety Officer at your event.

The Safety Officer must either hold a Safety Training Qualification “in accordance of the Building Regulations 2006 section 1105 Conditions of Use”, or have relevant qualifications and experience in emergency management (CFA, SES). Where an alternative person is nominated, details of their qualifications and experience (CV/Resume) is required to be submitted for assessment and approval.

Safety Officer training is available through MFB, providing relevant qualifications for Safety Officer – In a Place of Public Entertainment.