The Accessible Parking Permit (APP) project aims to streamline the permit application and renewal processes, clarify eligibility requirements, and introduce systems and tools to improve management of permits across Victoria.
Changes being made include:
• Permit holders who have been medically assessed as having an agreed permanent disability will no longer have to return to their medical practitioner for reassessment as part of the permit renewal process
• The permit duration will be increased from three years to five years for individuals (with non-temporary permits)
• The permit application and renewal processes will be streamlined with applications to be submitted through a new state-wide digitised system
• Permits will adhere to a standard, highly secure permit design rather than 79 variations which currently exist
• The name of the scheme will be changed from ‘Disabled Persons Parking Scheme’ to ‘Accessible Parking Permit Scheme’
The following features will be retained:
• Green Permits/Category 2 Permits will continue to allow a permit holder to park for twice the permissible time in an ordinary parking bay
• Those with significant intellectual disabilities are eligible for a permit.