Apply for Council Report and Consent

The Building Regulations 2018 contain a number of provisions where Council can decide on a variation to a proposal that does not comply with the relevant regulation, for example reduction of your front setback, building on land liable to flooding, or building a shed on vacant land. Report and consent (also known as dispensation) is the process in which you seek approval from Council to proceed with building or construction works that may affect community assets, infrastructure or amenity. If a report and consent matter affects your proposal, a building surveyor cannot issue a Building Permit until you obtain report and consent from Council.

When applying for report and consent, please ensure you provide a supporting argument as to why you are requesting the change. These may include restrictions to the property or the building design that do not allow siting to comply such as the shape or slope of the allotment, height of the building or positioning of a window. 

Some of the regulations require additional information such as adjacent owner's comments or referrals to other agencies. The application form lists these requirements against the applicable regulation. 

Siting Matters

Application for Report and Consent - Part 5 Siting(PDF, 204KB)

Information Sheet - Advice for Report and Consent Applications - Siting Matters(PDF, 263KB)

The Part 5 Siting Provisions of the Building Regulations 2018 set design regulations for amenity impact, such as maximum height, minimum setbacks, overlooking and overshadowing. If your proposal does not comply with the Siting Provisions, you must apply for Report and Consent for siting variations.

Building Over an Easement

Application for Report and Consent - Other Non Siting Matters(PDF, 290KB)

Obtaining Council report and consent is required to build over an easement. There are many different types of easements and permission should be sought from the relevant authority, your title will show any easements on your property including details of the relevant authority. 

The most common types of easements are stormwater (Council) and sewerage (Central Highlands Water and Coliban Water). Other types of easements may also be present such as powerlines or access for the adjoining properties. 

Apply for Council consent to build over an easement under the Report and Consent Application above or to Central Highlands Water or Coliban Water for water and sewerage easements.

Other Non-Siting Matters

Application for Report and Consent - Other Non Siting Matters(PDF, 290KB)

Report and Consent is required where your property is within an area that Council deems to be subject to flooding, special building overlay, not within a sewered area or when you are extending or projecting your building over an easement and or occupying the footpath.  

Demolition Consent

Application for Report and Consent - Sec29A Request for Demolition(PDF, 102KB)

Prior to the commencement of demolition or removal of a building (including partial demolition/removal) you may be required to apply for Section 29a demolition consent. 

Please note a Building Permit is required in addition to the consent before demolition or removal of a building.

Stormwater Legal Point of Discharge Consent

For information about this process go to Building Information and Stormwater Legal Point of Discharge