Filming and photography

The Central Goldfields Shire Council is a film-friendly location which is supported by the Central Goldfields Shire Council Film Policy. (PDF, 639KB)

Film-friendly incorporates commercial filming - including television, photography, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos.

Most/all commercial filming activities are required to apply for a permit for the use of a public space.

This ensures the activity is in accordance with the regulations of Council. 

Council has put together a comprehensive Guide to Filming in the Central Goldfields Shire(PDF, 663KB) to make the filming permit process an easy one. 


Council will respond to your application to film or photograph within five business days of receiving it.

Please note that if complex arrangements for your filming activity are required it may take Council more than five days to issue a permit.

To apply for a permit, please complete the Central Goldfields Shire Application to Film, Television or Photo Shoot,(PDF, 185KB)  and send to Council via email.


Fees may apply for filming permits or parking reservations.


In August 2014 the Victorian Government passed new legislation to standardise the process for obtaining commercial filming permits on public land managed by local councils and state government agencies in Victoria.

The Filming Approval Act 2014, effective 1 March 2015, provides a framework for the approval of filming permits. It outlines eight film friendly principles and the guidelines for commercial filming on public land across the state.

More information is available at Film Victoria


For more information about filming and photography in the Central Goldfields Shire contact Council's Events Officer on 03 5461 0610 or email.