Drains and stormwater


These are the various types of drainage assets you will find in Central Goldfields Shire.

Drains maintained by Council:

  • Kerb and channel
  • Underground drainage
  • Grated pit
  • Side entry pit
  • Various stone lined drains
  • Table drain
  • Cross road culvert

Drains maintained by property owner:

  • Driveway culverts provide access to private property
  • Maintenance and cleaning of driveway culverts is the responsibility of the property owner
  • Stormwater drains from private properties to legal points of discharge.


It is the property owner’s responsibility to have storm water run-off from their property conveyed to a legal point of discharge which is usually an underground drain, kerb or open table drain in a road reserve.

A Road Opening Works Permit is required to install or alter a stormwater connection within the road reserve.

For any other water related issues not described above, contact your local water authority:

Central Highlands Water or Coliban Water depending on your location.