Discounted pet desexing program
Council wants to reduce the population of stray and unwanted cats and dogs in our Shire.
To help, we’re partnering with the Maryborough Veterinary Clinic to offer discounted pet desexing.
The opportunity is for a limited time so get in early.
The program is supported by the Victorian Government.
How much will it cost to get my dog or cat desexed under the scheme?
Female – $90
Male – $50
Dog – pension card is required
Female - $180
Male - $120
This discounted fee includes desexing, microchipping and registration of your pet with Council.
What do I need to do to access the discounted pet desexing program?
- Visit Council’s Customer Service Centre in-person at 22 Nolan Street, Maryborough.
- A member of Council’s Customer Service team will provide you with a voucher form that will be valid for one month
- Call the Maryborough Veterinary Practice and make an appointment
- Transport your animal to the Maryborough Veterinary Clinic for the appointment and show your voucher on arrival.
Why is Council offering a low-cost desexing scheme?
Every year, Council’s pound takes hundreds of cats and kittens that need to be re-homed.
Desexing is an effective strategy to reduce strays and prevent unwanted pregnancies in dogs and cats.
Aside from preventing accidental litters, there are many health and behavioural benefits to desexing.
- Desexed animals are generally less likely to get diseases and certain illnesses such as mammary cancer and uterine infections in females and prostate problems in males.
- Desexing commonly reduces behaviour problems such as roaming, aggression and urine marking in males.
- In females it prevents mating behaviour and false pregnancy. Reducing the desire to roam also reduces the risk of being in a traumatic accident such as being hit by a car.
What are the Terms and Conditions?
- Maximum of two vouchers per household will be permitted.
- Limited number of vouchers are available.
- Only owner of animal can purchase voucher
- Priority will be given to those who hold an eligible Pension card, Health care card and Senior’s card.
- Dog desexing vouchers must hold a Pension Card and be pre-approved by Compliance Officers before purchase.
- Receivers must be able to prove they live in the Central Goldfields Municipality.
- Vouchers are valid for one month from the date of issue.
- It is the responsibility of the voucher holder to book and transport their animal to Maryborough Veterinary Practice.
- Central Goldfields Shire Council holds no responsibility for additional fees that may be required.
- Central Goldfields Shire Council reserves the right to refuse any application.