Apply for a Building Permit

A building permit is a document issued by a registered building surveyor that they consider the drawings and documentation for the proposed work meets requirements for health, safety and structural soundness under the Building Code of Australia, the Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2018.

A building permit can be issued by a private building surveyor or the municipal building surveyor employed by Council.  A private surveyor carries out the same functions as the municipal building surveyor including assessment of the application, inspections and issuing all relevant paperwork.

For further information about appointing a building surveyor visit the Victorian Building Authority


The Building Permit Process

Once your application has been received and payment of fees made, the assessment of your application is usually completed within 10 business days. This time may vary depending on the size and complexity of the proposed works. 

On completion of the assessment, the applicant is notified of the result. The result may be that the building permit is issued or that further information is required.


Apply for a Building Permit

When a building permit is required, you will need to prepare and submit an application form as well as the documents listed in the checklist. If you have received advice from the Building Department, please refer to the list of documents that has been suggested for your application, instead of the standard checklists. 

Building Permit Application

Form-1-Building-Permit-Application.pdf(PDF, 522KB)


This form must be completed and included as part of a new building permit application where Council's municipal building surveyor is appointed as the building surveyor. 

Building permits are documents certifying that a proposed building complies with the relevant building regulations. A building permit is a written approval by a private or municipal building surveyor. It allows the building work to be undertaken according to the approved plans, specifications and other relevant documentation.

Amendment or Extension to a Building Permit

Application-for-Amendment-to-Building-Permit.pdf(PDF, 694KB)

This form must be completed and included as part of an application to amend or extend an issued building permit. 

Building Occupancy Permit

This form must be completed and included as part of an application for Building Occupancy Permit. 

Form-15-Application-for-Occupancy-Permit.pdf(PDF, 821KB)

When you come to the end of your building project, there are a couple of final steps that need to happen. An occupancy permit is a document that confirms your building surveyor is satisfied the building is suitable for occupation. Your building permit will state whether you need an occupancy permit or a certificate of final inspection on completion of the building work. If you do need an occupancy permit, it is an offence under the Building Act 1993 to occupy the new building before you have received the permit.

Request for Title Search

Request for Title Search(PDF, 93KB)

This form is used to request a copy of a Certificate of Title and Title Plan for a property. 

This document will form part of your application for building permit. 

You can also go to Landata to request this document. 

Building Permit Checklists and Information Sheets

The following checklists and information sheets have been developed to assist applicants with understanding the documentation required for typical building permit applications. If you are unsure about the documentation required for your proposal, contact the Building Services team. 



What Other Permits are Required to Build?

In addition to a building permit, you may require further permits or approvals prior to commencement of your building works. These approvals (excluding the vehicle crossover permit) must be obtained and provided to your Building Surveyor before the Building Permit can be issued.

Report and Consent - Siting

Application for Report and Consent - Part 5 Siting

When a building design does not comply with the building regulation siting requirements you will need to apply for a variation through a Report and Consent application with Council (also known as a dispensation). If you are granted approval, you can then submit a Building Permit. 

Report and Consent - Demolition

Application for Report and Consent - Sec29A Request for Demolition

Prior to the commencement of demolition or removal of a building (including partial demolition/removal) you may be required to apply for Section 29a demolition consent. 

Please note a Building Permit is required in addition to the consent before demolition or removal of a building.

Report and Consent - Stormwater Legal Point of Discharge

Application for Report and Consent - Stormwater Legal Point of Discharge

If you plan to do building work at your property that will affect stormwater runoff, you must get Council's approval. This includes if you change paving or the structure of your roof. 

This type of approval is called applying for a legal point of discharge. It is also known as a Regulation 133 approval. 

Report and Consent - Non- Siting Matters

Application for Report and Consent - Non-Siting Matters

Report and consent is required where your property is within an area that Council deems to be subject to flooding, special building overlay, not within a sewered area or when you are extending or projecting your building over an easement and or occupying the footpath.  


Owner Builder Certificate of Consent

Owner Builder Certificate of Consent (VBA)

If you are an owner builder and the value of works will be over $16,000 you will need a Certificate of Consent from the Victorian Building Authority (value of works must include all materials and labour at a commercial value).

See VBA's Building Practice Note OB-01 for guidance on the requirements for applying for a Certificate of Consent.

Planning Permit

Application for Planning Permit

An application for the use and/or development of a building or land can be made to Council's Planning Department.

Septic System Permit

Application to Install or Alter an Onsite Wastewater Management System

An application to install or alter and an onsite wastewater management system (septic system) is assessed through Council's Environmental Health team.

You can contact Environmental Health via email at or by phone on 03 5461 0610.

Vehicle Crossover Permit

Application for a Vehicle Crossover Permit

An application for a vehicle crossover permit can be made to Council's Engineering Department.

You can contact the Engineering Department via email at or by phone on 03 5461 0610.