Preparing for summer
We’re currently preparing for the upcoming fire season with an extensive slashing and grass spraying program now underway.
Every year, an annual program of general maintenance to control vegetation growth is carried out.
We are required to maintain clearance of roadside reserves as part of the Road Management Plan and Municipal Fire Management Plan.
Residents are also encouraged to prepare for the upcoming fire season.
For more information on how to best prepare your property for the Fire Danger Period visit www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare
Rates now due
Central Goldfields Shire ratepayers who are paying their rates by instalments should have now paid the first instalment for 2020-2021 which was due Wednesday 30 September 2020.
If you have not received your rate notice please contact our Rates team on 5461 0610 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Understanding Your Rates brochure distributed with rate notices contains useful information about how your rates are calculated and how they are used.
We understand that COVID-19 has caused financial hardship to some individuals and businesses.
Council has a COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy to support ratepayers.
Please see this advertisement about the extension to the financial hardship measures.
To find out more visit: www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/financialhardshippolicy
For more information about rates, visit www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/rates
Financial support measures extended
Central Goldfields Shire Council will extend its financial support measures to assist ratepayers, businesses and community groups with the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic.
Council made the decision to commence a review of its COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy at the 11 August Council Meeting.
The following measures will be extended to 31 March, 2021 and will be reviewed again at that time:
Ratepayers experiencing financial hardship
- Suspension of all current debt recovery action to 31 March, 2021
- Updated COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy - effective 1 October, 2020
- Extension of rate payments to 31 December, 2020 on request, with no interest - Financial Hardship application required
- Waived interest on overdue rates and waste charges extended to 31 March, 2021
- For persons suffering financial hardship, waived pet registration fees
- Updated COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy will also apply to businesses
- Waiver of 2021 registration fees for food, accommodation, beauty, hair dressing salons and various permits.
- Payment of local suppliers weekly to improve business cash flow continues
- Waived rent for businesses occupying Council buildings and facilities extended to 31 March, 2021
- Ongoing dedicated business contact officer within Council
- Ongoing dedicated COVID-19 business support page on Council's website www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/covid-19
- Ongoing access to Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry support in partnership with Committee for Maryborough
- Waived outdoor dining fees and a simplified and streamlined outdoor trading application process now in place
- Extension of expiry dates for septic, building and planning permits for 12 months at no cost to 31 March, 2021
- Waived rent for all occupiers of Council buildings and facilities extended from 30 September 2020 to 31 March, 2021
- Waived building or planning permits fees under Council's Community Support Policy extended to 31 March, 2021
- Waived 2021 registration fees for community organisations who require permits for various services
- Ongoing additional parking enforcement around MDHS to support health workers/patients
- Ongoing dedicated COVID-19 information page on Council's website – www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/covid-19
- Council will continue works as scheduled so as to maximise local business and employment opportunities.
- Council will proactively promote local procurement for capital and other expenditure and Council’s Business and Economic Development Units will work with local businesses to achieve that
- Council is working to get these measures ready for implementation from 1 October, 2020.
Outdoor dining fees waived
- We are waiving outdoor dining permit fees and have introduced a simplified and streamlined application process to help support our local hospitality industry.
- We have also developed an Outdoor Dining and Street Trading – Code of Practice which provides advice to traders on how to set up outdoor dining and trading activities.
- To access our application process or the Outdoor Dining and Street Trading – Code of Practice visit www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/businesspermits
For more information on the above, visit www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/financialsupportpackage
We are participating in the Victorian Government’s Working for Victoria program.
Under Working for Victoria, Council will provide jobs for unemployed people – whether they have lost their jobs due to the impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19) or have been without work for a longer period of time.
The part-time positions include:
- Risk Advisor
- Buildings Parks and Gardens Worker
- Waste Officer (communication and education in recycling waste and circular economy)
The six month, fixed-term positions are additional positions and will not replace existing employees at Council.
To find out more about the Working for Victoria initiative and to register your interest in applying visit: www.vic.gov.au/workingforvictoria
Central Kindergarten Registration first round offers have now been distributed via email and mail.
Second round offers are now open. If you missed the closing date of the first round you now have an opportunity to register your child in three and four-year-old kindergarten for 2021.
Spaces are limited with kindergartens so get in quick - you can enrol via www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/centralenrolment
Second round offer applicants will receive a letter of advice week commencing Monday 19 October, 2020.
For more information contact the Goldfields Family Centre on 5461 6500.
Council Election and Caretaker period
Central Goldfields Shire Council Election will be held on Saturday 24 October, 2020 and is run by the Victorian Electoral Commission.
Councils must comply with special arrangements in the lead up to the elections, known as the caretaker period.
This is in accordance with the Local Government Act.
Central Goldfields Shire is in caretaker mode from 22 September to 24 October.
Council’s Governance Rules were adopted by Council in August and Chapter 7 of that document details the Election Period Policy that ensures Council business continues throughout this period in a responsible and transparent manner.
Essentially, during the election period councils are prohibited from making certain types of decisions and the material produced by councils must not contain matter than will affect voting at the election.
To read the Governance Rules and for more information about the 2020 Council election visit: www.centralgoldfields.vic.gov.au/councilelections2020