Council now issuing permits to burn for farmers

Published on 15 April 2019


Central Goldfields Shire Council is now issuing local landowners with permits to undertake controlled burning.

During the Fire Danger Period, these permits are only issued for farming purposes and farmers are encouraged to prepare their properties prior to applying for a permit.

Controlled burns are designed to assist with the removal of stubble and grass, to enable farmers the opportunity to prepare their lands for cropping.

Smoke may be visible throughout the Shire.

Permits for controlled burns are issued under the Country Fire Authority Act by Council’s Municipal Fire Prevention Officer under strict guidelines that must be adhered to.

If a permit holder fails to adhere to the conditions contained within the permit, it will result in police attendance and potential legal action occurring.

In addition to this, breaching permit conditions, or lighting a fire during this time without a permit can result in fines of over $19,300 and/or 12 months imprisonment.

As part of ensuring compliance with permit conditions during this period, burns may be inspected by the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer, Victoria Police or the Country Fire Authority with any non-compliance resulting in the permit being cancelled and the appropriate authorities informed.

Central Goldfields Shire Chief Administrator Noel Harvey said even though fire permits are being issued, it is important for the wider community to still follow Fire Danger Period regulations.

“The weather is cooling off so you might be forgiven for thinking the Fire Danger Period is over. This is incorrect and residents still need to be vigilant when it comes to lighting fires.

“For more information on what you can and can’t do during the Fire Danger Period, visit”

It is important to note that permits will not be issued for piles of green waste or general waste.

If you believe a fire is not a controlled burn call 000 immediately.