Maintaining your property for emergency purposes

With the summer season imminent, there is a need for all owners of properties in bushfire prone areas, floodway overlays or other hazard overlays to prepare their property to reduce the risk of emergency.

Under the current Chief Health Officer directions, an owner of an additional property will be allowed to travel to prepare their property before an emergency event. Works conducted before an emergency may include:

  • reducing bushfire fuel loads on the property (e.g. cutting grass, slashing, clearing gutters, removing vegetation and items from around dwellings and out-buildings)
  • reducing the impact of flooding (e.g. clearing gutters, sand bagging, blocking toilets and drains, moving furniture).

To request a letter of support to travel to an additional Victorian property, please complete and submit the Application to undertake works on a property for emergency purposes(PDF, 175KB) , and email it to

Council will assess this application within 1 business day, and determine if the eligibility criteria has been met. If you meet the criteria, Council will issue you with the letter of support. If the criteria is not met, council will provide you with a written response explaining why the criteria has not been met.