Gordon Gardens, Dunolly Master Plan
- Project typeGordon Gardens Master Plan project
- Project scheduleOngoing
The Gordon Gardens in Dunolly is a popular recreational and meeting place for both residents and visitors to the area.
There has been work done in the past to develop and maintain the important elements of the Gardens in alignment with its heritage roots and promote the area as a recreational hub by providing a Public Pool, Bowls Facilities, Senior Citizens Centre and playground.
In 2002, an Urban Design Framework was developed for Dunolly which identified the Gordon Gardens as a key focus for further community activities.
Council allocated funds in the 2018/2019 Budget to develop a Master Plan for the Gordon Gardens.
In 2018, Council commenced a process to develop a Master Plan for the precinct – to provide a framework for future work.
The Master Plan process commenced in 2018 with community members invited to share what they’d like to see retained and developed in the future.
Further engagement was carried out in April, 2019 and August 2019 before the final version of the Gordon Gardens Master Plan was adopted by Council in September, 2019.
- Gordon Gardens Master Plan Report(PDF, 5MB)
- Gordon Gardens Master Plan Design Plan(PDF, 1MB)
- Gordon Gardens Master Plan Sectional Elevation - Barkly Street to Queen Victoria Jubilee Monument(PDF, 2MB)
- November 2018 – Preliminary community engagement undertaken (online survey and drop-in sessions)
- March 2019 – Council appoints Michael Smith & Associates in conjunction with Sands de Vos Architects and Heritage Consultants and ASR Research to prepare a Master Plan for the Gordon Gardens
- April 2019 – Stakeholder engagement – including students from the Dunolly Primary School and user group consultation undertaken (18 residents in attendance)
- June to July, 2019 – Community feedback invited on Draft Gordon Gardens Master Plan
- August 2019 – Master Plan updated with community feedback
- September, 2019 – Master Plan adopted by Council
- 2019-2020 – basketball court, bicycle/scooter pump track, outdoor fitness equipment and shade structure, touch-free water fountain added to the precinct
- April, 2021 – next stage to begin
- A full summary of the community feedback received during the engagement process is provided in the Master Plan Report(PDF, 5MB) – pages 16 to 22.
Progress to date:
A number of projects that were identified as part of the Gordon Gardens Master Plan were constructed at the precinct during 2019/2020.
Thanks to funding as part of the Victorian Government Healthy Heart of Victoria initiative, a basketball court, bicycle/scooter pump track, outdoor fitness equipment and shade structure were delivered.
A touch-free water fountain was also added in 2020 thanks to a partnership project with Coliban Water.
The next stage of the Master Plan work will commence in April, 2021 and includes:
- Development of the vacant block beside the Senior Citizens building into a carpark, including two disabled parking spots
- Extension of the ramps into the Senior Citizens building
- Walking path from the carpark to the Queen Victoria Jubilee Monument within Gordon Gardens
- New path and new pedestrian gate into the Bowls Club from the carpark
- New sliding gate at the Bowls Club to allow access to the Bowls Club sheds
- Relocation of the Bowls Club’s water tanks
The works will be delivered by Council’s Operations team and are expected to take around a month to complete.
Each year, Council identifies projects in the Master Plan to be delivered, depending on Council Budget and external funding opportunities.
Gordon Gardens, Dunolly, Suburb 1 View Map